“Hiking and happiness go hand in hand or foot in boot!” (Diane Spicer) However, if you aren’t equipped with the right gear and follow certain precautions, it can result in injuries especially to your feet and ankles. The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons recommends following these tips to help prevent foot and ankle injuries:
- Wear proper-fitting footwear to protect toes from blisters and toenails from bruises.
- Select material for socks that wick away moisture and protect from the cold.
- Condition boots before setting out on a hike.
- Carry bandages and wraps or other supplies to help immediately protect and stabilize injured feet and ankles.
- Know the hiking route and options for accessing medical assistance.
Hiking can be a fun and challenging way to get some exercise while enjoying the beauty of the summer. Just remember, be prepared so you can enjoy exploring your surroundings every step of the way!
If you do experience any foot or ankle injuries, contact Dr. Kylin Kovac to help you get back on your feet!