Your Idaho Falls & Rexburg Foot & Ankle Specialists
Our Foot and Ankle Services
Ankle sprains are caused by an unnatural twisting or force on the ankle bones of the foot, which may result in excessive stretching or tearing of one or more ligaments on the outside of the ankle. The severity of the sprain can impact the degree of damage as well as the type and duration of treatment. If not properly treated, ankle sprains may develop into long-term problems.
Symptoms of Ankle Sprain
Primary symptoms of ankle sprains are the following:
Pain following injury
- Pain following a twist or injury.
- Swelling of the foot and ankle
- Bruising of the foot and ankle area.
Treatments for Ankle Sprain
- Treatment includes resting and elevating the ankle and applying ice to reduce swelling. Compressive bandages also may be used to immobilize and support the injury during healing. Serious ankle sprains, particularly among competitive athletes, may require surgery to repair and tighten the damaged ligaments.
- To prevent ankle sprains, try to maintain strength, balance, and flexibility in the foot and ankle through exercising, stretching, and wearing well-fitted shoes.