Summer is a time when most of us love to spend time outdoors and soak up the sun. If your feet hurt, it can prevent you from enjoying all of your favorite summer activities. Here are ten tips from The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons to help keep your feet pain-free all summer long.
1. Don’t walk barefoot. This makes your feet susceptible to cuts that can easily become infected.
2. Clean and disinfect spider and ant bites to avoid infection.
3. Wear socks with shoes. Bare feet inside of shoes can cause problems with athlete’s foot, other fungal infections, blisters, and calluses. Keep feet dry by changing socks during the day when necessary.
4. Don’t pop blisters. They are a natural barrier to infection.
5. Don’t choose fashion over support and comfort. Make sure to buy sandals with arch support and cushion for the heel.
6. Wear larger shoes to help accommodate swelling feet, especially if you work outside.
7. Wear sunscreen. Your feet need sun protection too!
8. Don’t ignore injuries to the foot and ankle. If something hurts, try not to use it. If pain persists, contact our office for an evaluation.
9. Warm up and stretch before exercising, and be sure to cool down and stretch afterward. Taking a few extra minutes to warm up and cool down can help prevent injuries to your Achilles tendon and plantar fascia.
10. Stay well-hydrated to avoid leg cramps and muscle spasms.
If you have been experiencing foot or ankle pain, please contact our specialists at Idaho Foot and Ankle Center for an appointment. We have same day appointments available so you can receive the proper diagnosis and treatment as soon as possible! Dr. Kylin Kovac and Dr. Jed Erickson have the knowledge and experience to help get you on the path to recovery so you can enjoy the sun and outdoors all summer long!
Some content provided by The ACFAS.