School is finally out for the summer for most of us! Summer is a great time for playing sports, swimming, and soaking up the sun on a sandy beach. However, all of these activities can put feet more at risk for injuries, especially in children. There are some ways that you can help keep everyone you love safe this summer, wherever their feet may want to go.
What can you do? Follow these tips:
1. PROPER FOOTWEAR:
- Wear the right footwear for the activity.
- Help prevent injuries by wearing shoes with adequate support. If wearing flip flops, try to find a pair that offers more support for the feet.
- Protect yourself from puncture wounds and plantar warts by wearing flip flops on the beach or at public swimming pools.
- Wear socks with shoes. Bare feet can cause problems with athlete’s foot, fungal infections, blisters, and calluses.
- Wear larger shoes to help accommodate swelling feet, especially when working outside.
- Don’t pop blisters. They are a natural barrier to infection.
2. APPLY SUNSCREEN:
- Always remember to apply and reapply sunscreen to all the areas exposed to the sun, but don’t forget the tops and bottoms of your feet!
3. WARM-UP BEFORE ACTIVITIES:
- Warm up and stretch before exercising, and be sure to cool down and stretch afterward. Taking a few extra minutes to warm up and cool down can help prevent injuries to your achilles tendon and plantar fascia.
- Stay well-hydrated to avoid leg cramps and muscle spasms.
4. PAY ATTENTION TO SYMPTOMS :
- Watch for symptoms of an injury or infection.
- Use the RICE treatment method– Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation if you experience pain, soreness, swelling, and difficulty walking.
- Allow the injury time to heal. If the injury is not adequately healed and rehabilitated, it can reoccur and cause long term problems like chronic ankle instability
5. SEEK HELP WHEN NEEDED: If an injury is causing pain or discomfort for longer than 3 days, or you notice something on your feet that you haven’t seen before, contact Idaho Foot & Ankle Center for an evaluation. Dr. Kovac and Dr. Erickson can start you on a treatment plan to ensure proper healing and help you avoid further injury. Idaho Foot & Ankle Center also offers MLS Laser Therapy which has been proven to speed up the healing process for injuries such as sprained ankles.
Summer is a wonderful time to enjoy many different activities that you can’t do any other time of year. By following these guidelines, you can help keep your feet in tip top shape all summer! If you are experiencing any foot or ankle issues, it is a good idea to get it evaluated before you embark on your summer vacations. Don’t let foot or ankle pain ruin your summer fun! Dr. Kylin Kovac & Dr. Jed Erickson provide foot care for the whole family, and are ready and qualified to help you get back on your feet and stay on your feet all summer long!
Some content provided by The ACFAS.